I am helping Karen Tweed with the restoration of a number of old accordions. The plan is to restore what is restorable, use the parts of any that are beyond repair for prototyping the lightweight accordion project and sell those that are in good working condition. I have listed them below and pictures of them can be viewed by clicking on the links. As I get further into the project I will do a photo appraisal of each instrument.
I have started with the Traviata as it is quite simple but approachable. Initial checking revealed that 2 of the keys were very sticky and I am addressing that. The leather valves on the reeds were all very curled so I have replaced most of them. I have started tuning the reeds using a tuning table I have just built.
I have also started a full triage of the accordions and I will have a PDF file for each with pictures of the internals and a mechanical appraisel of the condition and the work needed to return the accordion to playing condition.
Click on the links below and you will get either a picture of Karen Tweed holding the accordion or a PDF file with the report (or both).
- A 1930s Pietro Italian 120 bass piano accordion, in attractive deep pink pearloid case and Art Deco keyboard design.
- A 1930s Pietro 120 bass piano accordion, in black finish and diamante insets.
- A 1930s Traviata 32 bass piano accordion, in red pearloid finish. (Weight = 4.5Kg)
- A 1930s Italian P.Ficosecco Castelfidardll 120 bass piano accordion in pearloid finish, highly decorated with diamante embellishment.
- A 1952 Scandalli "550" 120 bass piano accordion, in grey pearloid finish decorated with diamante insets.
- A 1930s Paolo Soprani Italian 120 bass piano accordion in black finish with diamante embellishment with case.
- A 1930s Soprani-Settimio 'cardinal' 120 bass piano accordion, in blue pearloid case with diamante embellishment.
- A 1930s Pancotti 120 bass piano accordion in Wedgwood blue pearloid finish, fretwork and diamanté decoration.
- A 1930s Santianelli Italian 48 bass piano accordion in attractive pale pink pearloid case.
- A 1918 Cesare Pancotti 36 bass piano accordion in wood finish, with semi clad female figures around trademark.
- A 1930s Alvari 12 bass piano accordion, suited to a child or beginner.
- A vintage Rauner eight bass piano accordion, ivory pearloid finish.
Pictures for Karen Xmas cards
Go back to Mike Nelsons Home Page
This site is created and maintained by Mike Nelson for his own pleasure
© 1997 to 2016 Mike Nelson